Welcome to the Brunswick Chapter, NSDAR

The Brunswick Chapter NSDAR was founded on Feb. 12, 1903, a date that the members selected because of its historic meaning. General James Edward Oglethorpe made his historic landing at Yamacraw Bluff on this day in 1733. There were twelve charter members: Mrs. J.A. Butts (Organizing Regent), Mrs. D. D. Atkinson, Mrs. Edwin Brobson, Mrs. Hugh Buford, Mrs. E. T. Coney, Mrs. W. H. Dyer, Mrs. R. R. Hopkins, Mrs. H. M. King, Mrs. E. H. Mason, Mrs. J. A. Montgomery, Mrs. J. D. Sparks, Mrs. Courtland Symmes, and Mrs. Bolling Whitfield.

The roster of members in the Brunswick Chapter included prominent women in the community. These women were leaders and involved in civic affairs. They included the wives of doctors, attorneys and businessmen in Brunswick.

In the beginning, meetings were held at the grandest location in the town, the Oglethorpe Hotel, and the ladies dressed in their Sunday finest to attend the meetings. The DAR awarded yearly prizes in the local schools for the best historical essays, an activity that foreshadowed the contemporary practice sponsored by the national organization, the American History Essay contest that is held each February.

Over the years, the chapter has been responsible for placing ten historic markers throughout the county. These markers not only honor their recipients but also serve to educate tourists and locals of the significance of the person or location it commemorates.

The Brunswick Chapter NSDAR has hosted the Georgia State DAR Conference on two occasions. First in 1909 at the Oglethorpe Hotel when delegates arrived in Brunswick by train and were welcomed by Mrs. R. R. Hopkins and Brunswick's mayor, then again in 1990 when Brunswick Chapter hosted the meeting on Jekyll Island.

The Brunswick Chapter NSDAR has made a lasting impact on the surrounding community. Children, students, veterans, and visitors to the community are only a few who have benefited from her work. The chapter is the third oldest chapter in the state and celebrated its 100th anniversary in Feb. 2003.